Eye Airfield is a disused wartime airfield that lies in the north of the district, approximately 1 mile northwest of the small market town of Eye (pop. 2154 in 2013).
The runway is readily accessible by road from the A140, the main highway that connects Ipswich to Norwich. Twelve miles to the south, the A140 links to the A14, which is the main road connecting the port of Felixstowe to Cambridge and the Midlands. 2 miles to the north the A140 connects to the A143, which links the site to Diss, Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft.
Diss railway station is approximately three miles away with a main line service from Norwich to London Liverpool Street.
• Eye – 1 mile
• Norwich – 25 miles
• Ipswich – 21 miles
• Felixstowe – 35 miles
• London – 100 miles
The main concreted runway on Eye Airfield extending to about 9.28ac to include the tarmacked extension to Castleton Way.
The runway extension adjoins Castleton Way which links to the main southern Eye Airfield roundabout at the Yaxley junction. The main Airfield Runway gives principal access to major developments on the former Airfield including:
• Cranswick Country Foods
• The site for the new Drax Gas Fired Power Station
• Transam Trucking
• Melton Renewable Energy UK Ltd Power Station
• And other interest
Eye Airfield is developing into the principal industrial hub in North Mid Suffolk.
The runway adjoins land which has been designated as a key strategic site identified in Mid Suffolks Core Strategy focused review of 2012 and the Eye Airfield development framework of 2013.
VALUE ADDED TAX
The property is not registered for VAT.
TENURE & POSSESSION
Tenure: Freehold with Vacant Possession given on completion but subject to rights of way as detailed herein and recorded on the title.
1. The runway is accessed off Castleton Way and is subject to a number of commercial rights of way which are principally located on the western edge of the runway but with east west crossings servicing the proposed Drax Power Station, the existing interest of Melton Renewable Energy UK Ltd Power Station and Transam Trucking.
2. Part of the main runway and the agricultural land to the east thereof (The Land) which is in third party ownership is favoured with an agricultural right of way over the subject land from Castleton Way.
The sale of the runway will be subject to a formal legal agreement whereby the sellers will retain any payments made by the owners of The Land in changing the designation of the right of way from agricultural use to some other use.
3. The agents have plotted the rights of way (in para 1 and 2 above) in their approximate positions on plans which can be emailed to prospective buyers.
The runway is subject to electricity, potable water, gas and surface water easements.
USEFUL CONTACT DETAILS
Mid Suffolk District Council
131 High Street, Needham Market, Ipswich, IP6 8DL Tel: 0300 1234000
Each party to bear their own legal and surveyors costs in connection with the sale.
Melton Renewable Energy UK Ltd have a licence to park cars and skips adjoining the existing Power Station at the north eastern end of the runway and pay a licence fee.
The land adjoining to the east of the main access is also For Sale extending to about 11.56ac with a guide price of £1,500,000.
Strictly by arrangement with the agents Commercial Office.
Easting: 613043 Northing: 274293
From Ipswich, head north along the A14 exiting onto the A140 after approximately 6 miles. Travel for a further 14 miles and at the first roundabout turn right onto Castleton Way, signposted Eye. After 350 metres take a left hand turn onto the Eye Airfield runway.
Durrants Commercial, 32-34 Thoroughfare, Harleston, Norfolk, IP20 9AU.
Tel: 01379 851038
Email: [email protected]